It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
How to save a graphical map in MacVector 
Site Admin

Post How to save a graphical map in MacVector
The way you save any graphical map changed substantially with MacVector 10. Now the way to save a graphics map is as follows:

To Save a PDF image of a graphic 
1. Select the graphics tab and select Edit | Copy
2. Open the Apple utility 'Preview.app' and choose File | New from Clipboard
3. Select File | Save As
4. Navigate to the folder where you want to save the graphic data and choose Save. 

To Copy a PDF image of a graphic 
1. Select the graphics tab and select File | Copy 
2. Navigate to the application you want to export the graphic to, and select Edit | Paste in that application. 

You can copy the resulting map into any modern OS X application. For example Microsoft Office 2008 and Adobe Illustrator.

The reasoning that this changed from MacVector 9.0 is that the graphics subsystem changed substantially with the release of MacVector 9.5.  Instead of using the PICT graphics format, MacVector now uses the Quartz graphic engine that uses PDF for all graphics. The advantages are that you can generate high quality graphics from MacVector.  Additionally in MacVector 10, we introduced the tabbed view, where each tab is simply a different view of the same sequence.  We thought it would prove confusing and potentially dangerous for the FILE - SAVE option to have different functions depending on which view is shown. We would hate users to overwrite their precious sequence with a PDF of a restriction enzyme analysis.

Cheers
Chris

Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:54 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: How to save a graphical map in MacVector
I am working on two different sequences (two windows open), making two different maps, which I then want to add to the same figure in Adobe Illustrator. My problem though, is that when I copy the ready map (as you suggest), it depends on the size of the map window how big the picture I then paste into Illustrator will be. As the two different map windows are of different size (and I have no idea how to make them the exact same size from the start), I have huge problems to get the both maps to be pasted at the exact same scale. It doesn't matter if I use the fit in window button, as the windows are of different size from the beginning. How can I solve this problem? I would be very happy if someone could help me.

Marten.

Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:20 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: How to save a graphical map in MacVector
Apologies for the late reply.

One the maps are pasted into Illustrator they are in vector format, and can easily be resized without any loss of quality. Once the second map is pasted, try holding down the corner and dragging it until it's the same size as the other map.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]